Monday, September 21, 2009

Pahrump, Part II

OK, I should probably apologize to Pahrump. There are hotels there. There is also a community college and a library. And there's a big green man in a Tyrolean hat carrying a sign that says "Valley Homes." And some people protesting the BLM's wild horse management policy. (Why they were aiming these protests at a Quizno's, I can't say.) There aren't a lot of street signs, but I found my way to Bookworm Haven and traded in my paperbacks and spent a hour or so browsing. It's the kind of place where books are shelved very idiosyncratically (i.e. "Movies," meaning books that have been made into popular movies) so half the fun is just looking. I found Black Hearts in Battersea (the sequel to The Wolves of Willoughby Chase) and an old Lois Duncan and a forgotten Rumer Godden and three Ursula K. Leguin reissues. Also The Princess and the Goblin and Jean Dixon's My Life and Prophecies which I bought because I remembered reading it in 1979 when it scared the life out of me. (Now, given that Earth was not hit by a comet in the mid 1980s and that Armageddon did not start in 1999, I can't help but feel sorry for poor old Jeane Dixon. She must have died a disappointed woman.) Altogether it was quite worth the trip and I'll never look at Pahrump the same away again.

No comments: